Sunday, January 24, 2010

Beating the Winter Blahs

Okay, I realize we're only a month in to it, but winter is starting to depress me. All of the beautiful while snow is just about gone, leaving dirty, yucky black snow in its aftermath. The holidays are over. And the sun is rarely seen these days. Today it's raining.

To be honest, it's getting me a little down. I'm starting to feel grey like the outdoors.

So to beat those winter blahs my hubby and I have been using that most traditional of all cures...laughter.

At the moment, we are hooked on the hit comedy series "The Office". If you've never seen it, I highly recommend giving it a try. There are some episodes that make us laugh until we cry. It's that good. We started by DVRing all of the reruns as they're on several times a day, but over the course of the last month (Gotta love Christmas and birthday gifts!) we've obtained the first five seasons on DVD. Now we can watch whenever the mood strikes us...without commercials. I think one day over Christmas break we watched 12 episodes. Whenever we need a pick-me-up, we pop a disc in, and for 20 minutes (or those bonus 40 minute editions) we can lose ourselves in the healing power of laughter. The exploits of Jim, Pam, Michael, Dwight, and crew certainly do that for us.

TV, books, and movies often work like that. Whether we need a good laugh, a good cry, a good scare, some pulse-pounding action, or simply a heart-warming story, immersing ourselves in the world of fiction can help to brighten our day, no matter what the weather is like outside.

Wouldn't it be great if someday, when asked, "What do you do to beat those winter blues?", people all over the world would say, "Oh, I curl up with a Debra St. John book and lose myself in the story."?

A girl can dream, can't she?

Until next time,

Happy Reading!

Debra

www.debrastjohnromance.com

2 comments:

Morgan Mandel said...

Hi Debra,
You had me going for a second. I thought you were going to mention a different tradional cure you and your husband do.

Sad to say, there's not much good on TV these days, so if you like something you're better off seeing it again.

And, yes, this weather can be depressing. I'm hoping I can take Rascal for a walk later today if the ice is off the sidewalk.

Morgan Mandel
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com

Debra St. John said...

The sun was actually out for about five minutes this morning when I ran over to Wal-Mart. Totally made my day! Hope you got that walk in with Rascal.