Monday, October 25, 2010

Homecoming

This weekend was Homecoming at my daughter's high school. She went with a bunch of her friends and had a great time. But this whole homecoming thing got me thinking, what is it all about anyway?

Yeah, I know there is a football game, parade, (theirs got rained out) and dance, but where did it come from and why? Well, being the google-a-holic that I am, I googled it. Here is the meaning according to Wikipedia.

When I read this one thing leaped out at me, the mums. In my YA Ordinary Me, I have the whole mum thing going on. Yes, we did that in high school and it sounds like some things never change. The only difference is that in Ordinary Me I did not have the mums for homecoming, I had them for Valentines Day. Mostly because the story is set during basketball season, not football season.

It's nice to know some things never change, but it's also nice to know you can change them if you want to!

Have a great week!

Best,
June

www.junesproat.com

2 comments:

Debra St. John said...

Always gotta make the story your own!

Deb Larson said...

It's those familiar tidbits that engage the reader, they can then relate to the characters and want to see what happens next.
Sounds like you did a great job with that! Way to go ~
DL Larson