Sunday, August 15, 2010

Romance in Real Life

Romance is a big part of my life. Mostly because I write it. I'm a big fan of those happily ever afters and the road my characters take to get there. Books are full of romance. Unfortunately, in real life romance often seems to take a back seat to the pressure of living life from day today.

Yesterday, however, I heard about one the the most romantic things I've ever come across in real life.

Friends of ours are in the middle of a two week vacation in Italy. They've been planning this for a while. The husband actually did all of the planning. (Right there, that's romantic...I'm the planner in our family. To have someone else take care of all the little details for once would be a dream come true.) And he kept the exact itinerary a secret from his wife. She knew they were flying into and out of Rome, but that's it. The entire rest of the trip is a secret for her. The day they left, her husband finally told us a little bit about what they were doing: villas, islands in the Mediterranean, wineries, Tuscany, small villages along the coast, etc. This isn't your average, run of the mill vacation. Seriously, this is something out of a romance novel.

I was able to talk to my friend yesterday and got to hear about all of the fabulously romantic things they are doing. Every morning, she gets an envelope with a note from her husband letting her know what they'll be doing that day. How romantic is that? He knows her so well (which he should after twelve years of marriage), that everything has been perfect so far for her. Each day is a wonderful new surprise.

I'm going to need to figure out how to use this in a book someday.

Until next time,

Happy Reading,

Debra
www.debrastjohnromance.com

3 comments:

Morgan Mandel said...

I'm afraid I'm too much of a planner. I'd be happy if I could decide what to do and the DH agreed.

Morgan Mandel
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com
http://facebook.com/morgan.mandel

Debra St. John said...

There is something to be said about that, too!

Margot Justes said...

What a wonderful story, the husband/hero is straight out of a romance novel. It's absolutely perfect.
Margot Justes
www.mjustes.com