Wednesday, August 4, 2010

All Wet by Morgan Mandel

I was going to post about something more writerly today, but storms got in the way. I had to rush out of the house to avoid getting soaked by a huge wall of water fast approaching.

Didn't make the avoid part. I got all wet! My big umbrella wasn't too much help. As I type this over three hours later, my pants legs are still uncomfortably clammy. I was able to buy a pair of socks on the way to work and change into my spare shoes, so that helped some. Fortunately, my top dried out pretty fast as well, Still, at lunch I'll probably use this as an excuse to buy another pair of slacks.

Anyway, getting back to the all wet theme. In Killer Career, I did get my heroine caught in a rainstorm on the way to work, much like what happened to me today and has happened before.

What about you? Have you let any of your characters get all wet, or have you read books where your characters get all wet?

Morgan Mandel
http://facebook.com/morgan.mandel

9 comments:

Rey said...

HAHA As a matter of fact in my new novel, Blood Drops, it rains a lot and everyone kind of gets wet. It actually is used as a build up to the climax of the book where...well...I'll let you read for yourself. :) You can do so at http://www.reybooks.com

Robin Spano said...

Yeah, they get wet, they carry umbrellas. Weather is a good dramatic detail; adds to setting, I think. It's tactile and it's familiar - you don't have to spend a lot of words for readers to physically feel it.

N. R. Williams said...

I use storms almost as a threatening character in their own right. But then I write fantasy. My character's get wet on occasion but more than likely they will get attacked by something hidden in the storm, sometimes this is an unseen presence.
Nancy
N. R. Williams, fantasy author

Debra St. John said...

Oooh, water is fun. In my upcoming book, my hero and heroine go skinny dipping.

Water also reminds me of Brad Paisley's new song of the same title. Great lyrics!

Liana Laverentz said...

I read a wonderful book by Eileen Dreyer called Saints and Sinners or Sinners and Saints, where the rain was as developed as any character. It was set in New Orleans and they were waiting for a hurricane to arrive.

Personally, I don't think I've put any of my characters in the rain...oh wait a minute...I did, in Ashton's Secret. She got caught in the middle of the lake in a storm. Nearly drowned, too.

Thanks for the memories, Morgan!

Morgan Mandel said...

I heard Brad Paisley's Water song this morning. After I got up I realized why they played it today!

Morgan Mandel
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com

Margaret Tanner said...

Hi Morgan,
In my recently released novel Frontier Wife, the heroine has to jump into a creek (with the hero, of course) to avoid being burnt to death. So, yes, they both got pretty wet.
Regards

Margaret

Deb Larson said...

Morgan:
Water scenes are great - shows another aspect of a person's personality - upset, excited or dealing with it with good humor. Sounds as if you handled it with grace!
DL Larson

Terry Odell said...

There's a caught in the heavy rain scene in When Danger Calls, and a caught in a light drizzle in Finding Sarah, and a Florida rainstorm in Nowhere to Hide - so, yes, I guess I like getting my characters wet.

Terry
Terry's Place
Romance with a Twist--of Mystery