Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Life Resolutions

While everyone else seems to be making those pesky resolutions for the New Year, I'm working on some life resolutions instead. It's just going slightly slower than I expected. I have some good reasons for this but then everyone usually does because they generally fall into the category of life happens.

Mine include an unexpected business trip, my 16 1/2 year-old dog is ill and may not recover, the pace at work seems to continue to increase, and - well, you get the point. Life Happens!

I did write down some goals, or resolutions, such as: write more, travel more, better organization at work and home, yoga everyday, enjoy life wherever possible, and so on, and so on. I've come to the conclusion, however, over the many years of making New Year's resolutions that what I need is Life Resolutions - in other words, add/subtract things from my life that make sense for the rest of my life.

One of those "things" is yoga. I like the philosophy of yoga and the opportunity for growth and awareness. With New Year's resolutions, a very small percentage, including me, are able to keep them. I've always felt like a failure by February because for the most part, the resolutions weren't reasonable and didn't take into account that life happens.

With yoga and it's many forms of practice, the fact that life happens is part of the process. Besides, it's more workable to fit my goals above into the rest of my life instead of a year.

Happy writing everyone.

2 comments:

Patricia Stoltey said...

Life does happen and we have to learn to go with it, deal with the priorities, and make time for the non-priorities in bits and pieces. Anything similar to yoga and meditation will work. I use Egoscue exercises and "thinking time" which is sitting in my favorite chair during a quiet time and letting my mind wander wherever it wants to go.

Deb Larson said...

I hear you Terri! Life is always nudging into my writing time. I love catnaps on my porch - just a few moments to quiet my brain and think things through. It always surprises me how simple a solution is when I let go of all the other "busy" stuff.
DL Larson