Saturday, August 9, 2014

Lifestyle Change by Margot Justes



I have lived in the Midwest for the better part of my adult life, and now it’s time for a major change. 

A rather quick decision to move out of Illinois, and an even quicker sale of the house, forced me quickly to think about my future. What do I want to do? Travel was the immediate answer, but a small pied-a-terre is needed, somewhere permanent to hang your hat, as it were...

The answer was a relatively easy one. A small condo would do the trick, but then an another idea surfaced, one that would truly alter my lifestyle. Motor yacht living.

We lived in a trailer in South Africa for three months until our housing was ready. It was an experience I’d never care to repeat. Never.

I still would not consider trailer housing, but living in a tiny, compact space has a great deal of appeal. I’ve been assured, it is by no means trailer living, the water views are fantastic, and the community is rather a chummy one. Surrounded by water, and with fewer responsibilities, it would also be an ideal place for me to write.  

Adapting to new situations is nothing new for me, and as of September 1st, I’ll be living in a one bedroom apartment until a decision is made where exactly I’m going to wind up. Many people consider that unsettling,  I find it exciting. A new journey awaits.

The only sad part is that I’ll be leaving lifelong friends, more family than friends, but there is a flip side, there will always be a spare bedroom, and new and exciting places for them to visit.  I’ll visit as well.

Over the years we all accumulate ‘stuff’; at this stage of my life, the stuff is far less important. Garage sales are a wonderful way to meet people, and at the same time get rid of your stuff.  I’ve never done a garage sale before, but since the decision to move, I have a few under my belt, and they are a hoot. Whatever doesn’t sell will be packed and given to Goodwill. The important pieces will be stored, and the rest is going to new homes.

There are a few things that will be passed on to my daughters, and of course, space will have to be found for my art; pieces I have collected over many, many years, and cannot part with.  The walls are now bare in the house, and I truly miss my old friends.

I’m looking forward to new adventures.

Cheers,
Margot  Justes
Blood Art
A Hotel in Paris
A Hotel in Bath
Hot Crimes Cool Chicks
www.mjustes.com

No comments: