Monday, November 15, 2010

Why’d you write that book? By June Sproat

Newsflash: I did not like high school. At All.

Whenever I step into a high school my stomach starts to turn a little bit and my palms start to sweat. High school anxiety rushes back and all the years since graduation just melt away.

So when my daughter made the basketball team she asked me if I thought I would still be able to go to her games, since they would all take place IN A HIGH SCHOOL.

“Of course!” I said, my smile so tight I thought my face would snap.

But then I realized hey, this is a perfect research opportunity for my future YA books.
While I was watching her practice game I started talking to another parent who, like me, didn’t like high school so much. And then it happened. I told her that was why I wrote my book.

ME: “When you were younger and something happened at school did you ever feel like it was the end of the world?”

Other parent: “Oh yeah”

ME: “And when the whole thing settled, it wasn’t the end of the world, was it?”

Other parent: “nope”

ME: “Well, that’s why I wrote it. I wanted other young people to know that things happen, and it’s not the end of the world. It’s tough to be a teen, but they will get through it. I did, you did and they will too.”

So, in a nutshell, that’s why I wrote my book.

Have a great week!

Best,
June

www.junesproat.com

4 comments:

Deb Larson said...

Facing old fears is tough and nobody ever wants to do it. But you wrote a book about it! That's not just staring down a bad memory, it's taking action and sharing with others that they too can overcome an obstacle!! That's BRAVE and POWERFUL!
You go, girl!!
DL Larson

June said...

HA! Thanks DL.

:)
June

Debra St. John said...

And a fabulous book it is!

Good luck with those basketball games! 'Tis the season.

Morgan Mandel said...

Well, now we know how your mind works, June!

I wasn't too happy about high school either, because my folks sent me to an all girls school. Also, I had to help with dusting one of the rooms to get money off of my tuition.

Morgan Mandel
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com