We've all seen an occasional blooper in the local newspaper, a misuse of words that translates into something entirely different than what the writer intended. We wonder how could they have missed that. Yet it continues to happen. Below is a list of newspaper headings from various papers (I won't name the publishers) and I won't comment on what is wrong. Some of the headlines take a moment to comprehend, but the lesson here is ~ proofread your work. Always.
1. Man Kills Self Before Shooting Wife and Daughter
2. Police Began Campaign To Run Down Jaywalkers
3. Panda Mating Fails; Veterinarian Takes Over
4. Miners Refuse To Work After Death
5. Juvenile Court To Try Shooting Defendant
6. Typhoon Rips Through Cemetery, Hundreds Die
7. Red Tape Holds Up New Bridges
8. New Study Of Obesity Looks For Larger Test Group
9. Astronaut Takes Blame For Gas In Spacecraft
10. Kids Make Nutritious Snacks
11. Local High School Dropouts Cut In Half
12. Hospitals Are Sued By 7 Foot Doctors
I hope reading these made you chuckle. Now, go check your work!
Til next time ~