Sunday, July 11, 2010

Endings and Beginings

I have a couple of goals this week....

I want to finish one manuscript and start another. Right now the goals are somewhat overlapping and my head is spinning with ideas as I try to wrap up one story and begin another.

My current WIP, Family Secrets ,is just about done. I have about 3,000 words to work with in order for it to fit into the guidelines of where I'd like to submit. So that gives me about 12 pages. I'm almost there...I really just need to wrap some things up and have them say the magic words. After all, it is a romance, so there needs to be that Happily Ever After! Hopefully I'll finish that today or tomorrow, and then I'll be able to set it aside for a couple of days before picking it up again to do revisions and edits.

In the meantime, I have ideas spinning in my head for a new book. This one will complete the trilogy I began with This Time for Always. The second installment, This Can't Be Love is due out in the fall. For the third, This Feels Like Home, I have the basic story in my head...mainly a country boy/city girl theme, but not a whole lot of details worked out.

Right now I'm struggling to find a really great name for my heroine. That means today will include a cyber trip to a baby name site at some point. My next dilemma is my opening hook. That all important opening line is crucial in getting the book off to a great start and grabbing the readers' (and my editor's) attention! I'd like to have five pages of this done by Mnday (tomorrow) night so I can bring it to a mini critique session at my local RWA meeting, but that might be a little too ambitious with everything else going on. But, we'll see...stranger things have happened.

In the midst of all this writing and researching, I'd like to get some reading time in, and have some time left over to hang with my hubby and some friends. It looks like a busy week ahead. So, on that note, I'll be signing off!

Until next time,

Happy Reading!

Debra
www.debrastjohnromance.com

2 comments:

kelly said...

Good luck with your goals Debra! I know how that feels with so many ideas and not enough time.

Morgan Mandel said...

I already like the title of your new book. You pick some great ones! I'm sure you'll pick out a great name for your heroine also.

Morgan Mandel
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com
http://facebook.com/morgan.mandel