Thursday, June 13, 2013

Can a Writer Be Cloned? Redux by DL Larson

The blogs lately have given folks several glimpses of the many hats we authors wear. It's a lot like playing dress-up, a past-time my granddaughters love to play. They even change their names when they're playing.


"Call me, Cammie," my little Alex said one day.

"Okay," I said. "Call me, DL."

She thought that was a very funny name. I suppose it is, but it's my writer's name and as others have mentioned earlier it's important to keep one's name in the public's mind. DL Larson missed the Authorfest everyone is talking about. She's very sad, down in the mouth at hearing how wondeful the day was. But Deb Larson had a commitment that she agreed to months ago and so DL Larson didn't sign up for the Authorfest.

As an author, we have to find that fine balance between our craft - writing, our livelihood - working, and our hearth - the family, friends, church and those dozens of volunteer organizations we agree to help with. It's never easy and sometimes - like DL Larson missing out on a big fat opportunity like Authorfest, the choices we make leave us feeling unfulfilled in all areas of our life.

That's when we have to let go and simply be. We can't always be where we want to be and we can't please everyone, even ourselves sometimes.

So once I accepted that it was okay to miss out I could move on, excited about the next opportunity to exploit, I mean promote my name, DL Larson, my books, awesome, fascinating and rivetting historical family sagas. I remembered there is always a next time. Like today. I've gotten to mention my name, DL Larson, several times. Okay, six times. I feel better already.

Promoting my books is hard work, but rewarding too. Just when I think I'm drowning in my own ineptness as a marketer, someone will come up to me and say, "I loved your first book. I can't wait to read your next one." And I'm glad I'm not a clone. The real DL Larson needed to hear that!

So now I can honestly say I'm thrilled so many found the Authorfest to be a rewarding day. I'm happy for them and no longer frustrated with my inability to be at two places at once. I've accepted my limitations. Still, it would have been nice if DL Larson could have attended. Nicer still if someone had asked her about one of her books. And it would have been a stellar day to make some sales. Maybe cloning would work ...

Nah! There's only room for one DL Larson in this world.

Till next time ~

DL Larson
www.dllarson.com

5 comments:

Debra St. John said...

DL,

Finding that balance between 'real' life and author life can be tricky. It sounds like you have your priorities in order!

Deb Larson said...

We're always juggling, aren't we!?!
thanks for stopping by ~
DL

Morgan Mandel said...

I'm often my own worst critic. You're right, we can't please everyone, even ourselves. I keep trying, though!

Morgan Mandel
http://www.morganmandel.com

Margot Justes said...

DL,
We write because we love it. We can't please everyone, so there is no point in trying.
Margot
www.mjustes.com

fritzc77 said...

Deb, you might get a kick of this, if you don't already know about it. There WAS another DL Larson in the '80's. Don't know if he's still around:
http://www.amazon.com/D.-L.-Larson/e/B00IXQY3J2