Thursday, March 7, 2013

Another Hurdle Accomplished in the Publishing Process! by DL Larson

Picking out a book cover is an unnerving challenge, much like naming a child.  Once it's done, one has to live with it.  Yes, many change their book covers, but the first will always be around - somewhere. How I can be so decisive in some aspects and a complete opposite on other issues, perplexs me.

I asked my girl pals to vote on their favorite book cover, the three I had narrowed it down to.  We ended up in a tie and so I realized I would have to make the final decision.  I knew I would, but their input was valuable and made the final pick much easier. 

With that done and the author photo complete, I sent these last bits to the publisher.  Now I have to concentrate on publicity and marketing strategies. My news article came out last Saturday in our local paper, the Ottawa Times, Ottawa IL. (a town of about 19,000.) The reporter, Kate Reynolds, featured a whole page on me.  I was dumbfounded, a little self-conscious, but pleased she gave me such an honor.  If anyone wants to read the article, you can find it on line at The Ottawa Times, Ottawa IL, the weekend paper for March 2-3, 2013.  I'm in the HOMETOWNS section, B5, the title: Active In Earlville. The address is below.

I know I need to keep moving, promoting myself as an author, and I will certainly try to do that.  I've found if I pretend DL Larson is one of my kids, I do much better in promoting myself.  Perhaps it's my generation, but tooting my own horn goes against everything I ever learned.  It's awkward for me and I am uncomfortable in extreme.  So, thinking of myself in the third person and stepping away just a smidge gives me the gumption to proceed.

My plans are to reach out to other papers and tell them DL Larson has another novel coming out.  Once I have my ISBN# and a photo of my book, I will take another step in promoting my book.  What exactly that will be is yet to be decided.  Any suggestions you might have in this process?  I'd love to hear them!

Til next time ~

DL Larson

Ottawa Times: http://mywebtimes.com  search: Larson, 3/1/13;

No comments: