Sunday, October 7, 2012

Real Life Settings as Inspiration

I'm so excited! I just booked a cruise for my hubby and me to celebrate our fifteenth anniversary next year! We also took a cruise for our honeymoon, which makes this the perfect way to celebrate next year's 'milestone': almost like a trip down memory lane.

Our honeymoon ports of call almost fifteen years ago actually became the setting for Wild Wedding Weekend. Not only did I have first-hand experience with the places, which made my descriptions all the more authentic, but it kept me going with the plot. I knew I wanted to write a scene at each place my characters visited. It was a great way to keep moving forward and keep the pacing of the story. I had scenes off of the cruise ship as well, but a major part of the story stemmed from these visits.


I wonder what kind of inspiration I'll bring home this time? I can't wait to find out.

Until next time,

Happy Reading!

Debra
www.debrastjohnromance.com
An Unexpected Blessing, coming November 21 from The Wild Rose Press.


4 comments:

Margot Justes said...

Deb,
That's wonderful-I know you love to cruise. You're right about visiting the places you write about, helps a great deal.
Margot
www.mjustes.com

Debra St. John said...

I'm super excited! (Now, to get through the next six months...)

Margot Justes said...

Sounds like we might be going at the same time-I can't wait.
Margot

Morgan Mandel said...

Should be interesting to see what you come up with!

In the meantime, you have your new book coming out in November to look forward to!

Morgan Mandel
http://www.morganmandel.com