Sunday, September 2, 2012

Back in the Swing

This past week was my first full week back to work after summer vacation...and it's taking some getting used to. Don't get me wrong. I love my job. But after a summer of sleeping in and having no definite plans most days, it's been tough to get back into the mind set of getting up early and needing to be someplace at a certain time. And then stay there all day.

It didn't help that the evenings were busy, too. I've been working my way through the stages of a root canal over the past month and had an appointment on Monday (two hours long!) to get the new crown fitted. My allergies have been acting up and I had a follow up appointment with my eye doc on Friday. Tuesday it was the sport therapist for a shoulder injury. Wednesday it was a meeting. And Thursday was dinner and a viewing of "Hell's Kitchen" at friends' house.

So far the long weekend has been wonderful. Yesterday I finished my chores: bank, picking up Market Day, cleaning the bathrooms and the kitchen, and starting the laundry by 9:30. The rest of the day I used for much needed rest and relaxation. I finished reading one book, began and finished another, and started a third. In between I even had time for a nap and the hubby and I watched a movie after dinner. The plans for today and tomorrow are similar.

In addition to being tired, what's suffered the most this week is my writing routine. In that I didn't do any. In fact, I barely glanced at e-mails and blogs. Something had to give, and it was the writing that did.

But I'll get back on track. As soon as the newness of a new school year wears off, I'll be able to concentrate and find time to write. And who knows? Maybe somewhere along the line my hero or heroine will need a root canal, suffer from allergies, or need some sports therapy. In that case, I can chalk this past week up to research!

Until next time,

Happy Reading!

Debra
www.debrastjohnromance.com

2 comments:

Morgan Mandel said...

Sorry you've had such aggravation lately, Debra. By all means, make one of your characters suffer as well. It's an author's duty!

Morgan Mandel

@MorganMandel

Margot Justes said...

Deb,
Sorry about the root canal-I really, really feel your pain. Two weeks ago had a visit with my friendly oral surgeon.
Margot
www.mjustes.com