Thursday, August 16, 2012

Hi, Y'all! from Nashville by DL Larson

I'm looking out from the shaded porch of my cabin, watching the Cumberland River mosey by.  The cicadas never stop clicking yet a silent peacefulness surrounds me.  Yes, my hubby is clanking around in the kitchen, promising me a wonderful homemade breakfast of eggs and sausage, but his actions have become part of the backdrop as well.  Nashville is just down the road waiting for us to further our explorations today.  But right now, I'm enjoying the solitude of doing nearly nothing.

The place we're staying is called "End O' The Bend Lodge and Landing," sited as top-notch in the book titled, "The Best Places to Stay in the South," by Carol Timblin, published in 1992 by Gambit Books, distributed by Houghton Mifflin Company.  It's still a 5 Star place to be!  It is more a home in a quiet neighborhood than a cabin for rent.

The cabin is rustic with luxury.  The cathedral ceiling, plush furniture and spacious rooms along with a modern kitchen and baths make me wish we could stay more than the few days we have scheduled.
Later we plan to ride a Delta boat through the Opry Land Hotel, take an excursion on the General Jackson riverboat and visit the Hermitage, home of President Andrew Jackson.  Tomorrow it will be backstage tours of the Grand Ol' Opry and a show, plus more bar hopping on Broadway and 2nd Street, where every bar has a band playing. 

Next week I'll be in Gulf Shores, Orange Beach, Alabama, meeting up with college friends for a week. Our little group tries to get together every year, each taking a turn to host and plan where we will gather. It's always a fun time, full of "glory days" and nonsense.  I can't wait to hug my old pals.
But right now, I don't want to rush through these few days we have to relax.  I'm going to put this computer down and watch the river for awhile.

 I love rode trips. 

More next week ~

DL Larson

2 comments:

Debra St. John said...

Oooh, Deb, what fun! We did a trip to Nashville once and it was wonderful. We had an OpryLand package and stayed at the hotel, saw a concert, rode the Gen'l Jackson, attended the Grand Ol' Opry, and went to the theme park (Which is now a mall I think!)

Enjoy!!

Deb Larson said...

We're having a great time! It rained last night as we exited the General Jackson - came down in BUCKETS. We watched the rain on our screened in porch - wonderful time!
Thanks for stopping by.
DL Larson