Thursday, February 10, 2011

How is your Interpretation? by DL Larson

We all see the world differently and as a writer, I try to make my thoughts as clear as possible so there won't be any confusion as to what I mean. Sometimes I succeed, sometimes I don't, and at times I smile at what another thought I meant.

Recently I came across a story about Forrest Gump going to heaven and his discussion with Saint Peter. I don't know where the story originated or who I should give credit for it, but its lesson is priceless. St. Peter told Forrest he would have to answer three questions correctly before he could enter heaven.
1. What two days of the week begin with the letter T?
2. How many seconds are there in a year?
3. What is God's first name?

Forrest wasn't prepared for a test and asked to have time in order to think over his answers. St. Peter agreed. After awhile, Forrest was ready to answer the questions. To the first one, he said, "the two days of the week that begin with T, is today and tomorrow."

St. Peter was surprised at the answer, but decided he had not specified how his answer should be, so he agreed to give Forrest credit for question one. St. Peter then asked, "how many seconds are there in a year?"

Forrest admitted this was a difficult question, but with confidence he stated, "the only answer can be twelve."

"Twelve? How did you decide there were only twelve seconds in a year?"

Forrest relplied, "Well,there is January second, February second, March second -"

"I see where you're going with this, and I see your point, though that was not quite what I had in mind," said St. Peter. "But I will give you credit for that one, too. So, can you tell me God's first name?"

"Sure," Forrest replied, "it's Andy."

"Andy?" exclaimed St. Peter. "How in the world did you come up with the name Andy as the first name of God?"

"That was the easiest of all," Forrest said. "I learned it from a song, 'Andy walks with me, Andy talks with me, Andy tells me I am his own.'"

St. Peter shook his head and opened the Pearly Gates, and said, "Run, Forrest, run!"

Moral of the story ... how will your words be interpreted?

Til next time ~

DL Larson

2 comments:

Sutton Fox said...

What a great lesson. It made me lol, but then it really made me think about my own writing. Thanks!

Deb Larson said...

Sutton ~
I love when humor zones in and makes us think! Thanks for stopping by today.
DL Larson