Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Get Involved by Morgan Mandel


Left to Right - June Sproat, Margot Justes

Many of our Acme members belong to Chicago-North RWA. We've also been board members for our chapter. For the past two years, June Sproat led our merry group. At the Holiday Party this past Monday night, she passed the baton to Margot Justes, another of our Acme members.

Past presidents for C-N RWA also include myself (Morgan Mandel) and Debra St. John.  All of us have  held other board positions for our chapter.

I'm not mentioning this to brag, but to make a point. We've volunteered because we realize how important our chapter is to us. We'd be devastated without it.

If you belong to an oganization you care for, think about getting involved to make sure that organization continues on. You may not have the time to be a board member, but think about other ways you can help your chapter. No matter how small your contribution is, something is better than nothing. Do your share to keep a good thing going.

Morgan Mandel
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com/
Killer Career now 99 cents on Kindle

11 comments:

Margot Justes said...

Morgan,
I agree with you, our chapter is wonderful, and June and her merry band did a terific job.
Margot
www.mjustes.com
A Hotel in Paris

June said...

Aw, thanks you guys. It was nice, but time to move on. Margot will do a great job, I have no doubt!

Ellen said...

You're right this is so important! I'm a huge believer in volunteering. Someone has to do it so why not *you*?

Dorothy said...

Your chapter does sound wonderful, Morgan!

Cheryl said...

Being involved makes a huge difference. I volunteer at church and am on a planning committe for a local writers conference. It gives you more insight into things than you could have if you didn't get into the middle of things.

Cheryl

http://ccmalandrinos.com

Fiona McGier said...

But be careful not to over-do it! I once had the PTA chair at my kids' school turn to me in a meeting right after she asked for volunteers, and she said in front of everyone, "Fiona, you sit on your hands if you have to! I'm not even going to acknowledge you if you offer!" So I guess volunteering can be kind of addictive to certain kinds of personalities...(snicker)

April said...

Volunteering is incredibly important. I even try and get the kids involved. Living in a small area as we do, there is not a lot of opportunities, but we try to help out in as many ways as we can!

Jaime said...

I'm looking forward to getting involved with the Romance Writers of Australia. :)

Margay Leah Justice said...

I don't belong to any organization yet, but I am thinking of joining RWA.

Mayra Calvani said...

So true, Morgan. Thanks for sharing this.

Deb Larson said...

Volunteering becomes a way of life. I enjoy helping out and being a part of things, and it's always so much easier when others volunteer before I have to ask for help.
DL Larson