Sunday, September 5, 2010

Happy Labor Day Weekend

Isn't it great to have a holiday to celebrate all the "regular" people? I mean most holidays are for Presidents, other famous people, or historic events. It's nice to have a day for the Average Joe to be recognized. After all, they're the ones who make the world go 'round.

In my books, I write about Average Joes. My heroes and heroines aren't millionaires, heiresses, shieks or even doctors or lawyers. They are all everyday, ordinary people: a bar manager, a camp director, a receptionist, a photographer, a web designer, a chef, a teacher, a carpenter, a lawyer (okay, I have one), and a bull rider. Most of the time, the profession of my characters doesn't really come into play in a major way in the story line. Their jobs simply exist to give them a background and make them real. Sometimes a job will help move the plot along, or even add to the conflict in the story. But the jobs are always common, relatable.

Sure it's fun to get swept up in an imaginary or otherworldy world sometimes. But for me, the fun of writing ordinary characters is they do seem real. I can relate to them, because they're like me. Hopefully my readers can, too.

So Happy Labor Day to all of the teachers, painters, accountants, engineers, office workers, nurses, etc. out there...Enjoy your day. This one's for you.

Until next time,

Happy Reading!

Debra
www.debrastjohnromance.com

1 comment:

Morgan Mandel said...

Everyday people aren't celebrated enough, that's for sure. I'm glad we have at least one day to do that.

Morgan Mandel
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com
http://facebook.com/morgan.mandel