Saturday, February 27, 2010

Cruising with Royal Caribbean by Margot Justes

I've been AWOL for two Saturdays, but not for lack of trying. Posting a blog from the cruise ship proved difficult, at least for me. And not inexpensive.

But, I'm back and have kept a daily diary. I left palm trees, sunshine, warmth and returned to cold, snow and more snow. We won't even discuss coming back to work, the job that actually pays me. Regularly.

I did what most travel agents say not to do. I flew in the same day we boarded the ship. Given the Midwest winters, it's a risky thing to do. There were horror stories from passengers who had to drive South from New Jersey in order to get a flight that would guarantee a timely arrival, before the ship sailed without them.

I was lucky, the plane left on time, they did not lose my luggage and pick up by Royal Caribbean at the airport went without a hitch; we were safety deposited on board by lunch time. Life was good.

Everyone has heard about dining on board a cruise ship; it is plentiful. We start with breakfast, and of course there is a snack before lunch, and after lunch, another snack to tide you over until dinner.

Dining is a delight, bright lights, linen tablecloths, attentive service adds that extra spark in the evening. And, you can order as many entrees, salads and sweets as there are on the menu. Still hungry? Never fear. There is more food everywhere you turn. Hot coffee is always readily available, not good coffee, in fact remarkably bad coffee, drinkable only because you're on vacation, surrounded by water as you listen to the waves lapping and bouncing off the ship. You're lulled into contentment.

Between food and more food, I grabbed a book found a quiet place and enjoyed my first day at sea.

More next week,

Margot Justes
www.mjustes.com
A Hotel in Paris.

6 comments:

Kim Smith said...

I love to cruise and you have just made me really miss it a lot. Sigh. I LOOOOVE The food too!!

Morgan Mandel said...

I'm trying not to eat too much. Good think I don't have a cruise lined up!

Morgan Mandel
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com

Margot Justes said...

The food is great and certainly plentiful, but Morgan you can swim, walk, belly dance, etc- many things to do to hold the pounds at bay.
Kim, I'm already planning my next cruise, one of the stops will be Giza-I get to see the Pyramids, one of my dreams.
Margot Justes
www.mjustes

royal caribbean cruises said...

Cruise ? Hearing name cruise I feel like I am on cruise and enjoying it a lot. I have done a cruise before some months but the memories of it are like still alive and that makes me feel like I am still on a cruise.

maria said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Deb Larson said...

Happy Sailing, Margot!
I love cruises! I love waking up in a new place and spending the day exploring it.
Hope all was wonderful!
DL Larson