Sunday, February 1, 2009

Snow

Dare I say it? I know we're only a month into winter, but I have to say...I'm sick of snow.

Don't get me wrong. It was awesome having a white Christmas for a change.

But we haven't had any fresh snow in ages, so the stuff that's lying around is dirty and yucky and in the way. It messes up my house, it hides the landscape lights in the backyard, and when there's ice underneath it's just plain dangerous.

We seem to have layers and layers of it this year. (And as tired of it as I am, we could use a new layer to make it look white again.) All covering up and making me forget about the beautiful flowers in my garden. Or even what my patio looks like.

But there is beauty under there. And the snow itself has it's own beauty. The flowers beneath need the snow and the cold in order to become what they are meant to be in the spring.

All of this snow got me to thinking. As I've mentioned before, I am in the process of adding words to my latest contracted work, Wild Wedding Weekend. Those words are a lot like the snow. I keep adding layers to my story, not to hide what's underneath it all, but to create a story that has depth, and character, and real emotion. Without the layers, my story would be flat, and probably unappealing. Maybe even a little boring.

I know that eventually it will spring forth and become a completed book, and within (and because of) all of those layers, a beautiful love story will unfold.

Just as I know that come spring, when the snow has melted, my flowers will spring forth and beautiful new blossoms will unfold in all their glory.

In the meantime...I'm heading off to Florida at the end of the week to visit Mickey. (Because I really do need a break from all of this snow.) The lovely June Sproat will be filling in for me next week.

Until next time,

Happy Reading!

Debra

www.debrastjohnromance.com

4 comments:

Morgan Mandel said...

Say hello to Mickey for me!
Bring some sunshine and warm weather back, please.

Morgan Mandel
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com

Pan Historia said...

I posted on my blog earlier this winter about the loveliness of snow, but the fact is I'm eager to escape it. Soon I'll be in California and if I want snow I'll drive to Tahoe.

Wyatt at Pan Historia

June said...

Wow, "lovely"? You really do need a break!

Thanks, I'm happy to fill in and I hope you have a WONDERFUL time. Bring back some sunshine and warmth pleeeeeese!

June
www.junesproat.com

Deb Larson said...

Deb:
Enjoy the sunshine! I just returned from California and it felt wonderful, still good to be back home - icky snow or not! :)
DL Larson