Sunday, September 28, 2008

Other Things to Do

So, this week I read a blog about procrastinating. Boy was that like looking into a mirror. I think I am the world's biggest procrastinator. Especially when I don't have a deadline of sorts. I could never be my own boss. I'd be fired within the week!

When it comes to my day job, writing, school, you name it. I need someone to tell me "I need this by such and such a date"...or it doesn't get done. None of this open-ended stuff for me.

Part of my problem lately, is that I seem to be stuck at a certain point in the manuscript I'm working on. The story just won't go. I've tried skipping ahead and working that way, but didn't have much better luck. I should probably put this one aside and work on something else, if only to get the creative juices flowing. But it's the sequel to "Always", and people keep asking me about it. They want to read it. But I have to write the darn thing first. Easier said than done.

It's not like I'm not working on writing related things at all. This week I updated my web-site. Just made the links a little more streamlined. And I really want to put together a trailer for "This Time for Always", so I've done some creative brainstorming with that. Another part of the problem is that I'm slightly addicted to the internet. I check my e-mails several times a day.

Even before I sat down to write this post, I clicked over to my inbox first. (Because those three messages sitting there on a Sunday morning just couldn't wait another ten minutes.) Then I checked my standings at Fictionwise. (Still holding steady at number six, but with two reader reviews now - one 'great' rating, one 'good'). After that I checked my interview on Pop Syndicate from last week to see how many hits I was up to. (Right now I'm at 125, and I SWEAR that not all of them are from me checking in!) Then I checked at Wild Rose to see what the release dates were on some of the reviews that were posted. (I've only gotten two official ones so far and I'm hoping for more.) And then....

Well, I think you get the picture.

I have come up with a small solution, at least to the internet problem. When I fianlly do get down to actually writing something, I usually work on my laptop. My laptop has no internet connection. And I'm going to keep it that way.

As for being stuck on my manuscript, I just need to hunker down and get past it. Anyone out there like to give me a deadline? I really do seem to work better that way.

Until next time,

Happy Reading!

Debra

THIS TIME FOR ALWAYS
from the Wild Rose Press
Champagne Rose and Rosebud #1 Bestseler!

2 comments:

Morgan Mandel said...

We share the same affliction. I'm all over the place. You mentioned a few spots I haven't checked lately. Maybe I should go over there. (G)

I've got this other crazy problem. I worked on one of my manuscripts at home, e-mailed it so I'd get it on my laptop, then worked on it again and forgot to e-mail the updated version.

Then, I also want to update the layout here on this blog. I could do that instead of my manuscript.

So, here I am with the dog sleeping and a few hours to spare on vacation that I need to use wisely.

Procrastination is a dirty word.

Morgan Mandel
www.morganmandel.com
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com

Deb Larson said...

Deb:
I too am a procrastinator! There is no cure, only medication - which I won't go into just now. But I give myself deadlines for everything or it doesn't get done. I've been writing for a couple decades now and it really works - the deadline thing. I'm extremely strict with myself, weird because I tend to be milktoast with everyone else.
So you want a deadline? Halloween! Have something on my desk by then - and it better be good! :)
Good luck!!!!!
DL Larson
PS: you do know I'm just teasing, right?