Saturday, February 27, 2016

The Butler did it by Margot Justes



I’ve been working on my novella, a sequel to A Fire Within , it seems like forever, and I’m stuck. My editor is expecting a finished manuscript by August, and I’m procrastinaning.

I didn’t realize how stuck, until I was cutting up veggies for soup, and at the same time  playing  Clue, in my head. The same board game I used to play with my girls, except I really had the game on the table.

Of course the simple answer was-the butler did it in the library with a knife, and I needed a band-aid to prove that the butler did it... the celery I was slicing wound up in the trash, and the knife was washed with soap and hot water. To add insult to injury, the water was too hot and I wound up with a burn, along with sliced finger. It taught me a lesson, do not multi-task with sharp instruments in my hand.

As delightful as my attempt at making a vegetable soup was, I was no closer to ending my story. I have all the suspects lined up, and no one is stepping up to volunteer. Almost as if the characters are saying, try and make it stick.

The working title of this novella, is Dazzling Diamonds, and even the title seems to be off, diamonds are dazzling, but these are blood or conflict diamonds. They dazzle but at what price...it’s a great story, if only I could finish it, and write...the end.

Now, back to my story...she writes hopefully.

Cheers,
Margot  Justes
Blood Art
A Hotel in Paris
A Hotel in Bath
A Hotel in Venice
A Fire Within
www.mjustes.com

2 comments:

Morgan Mandel said...

It's not as easy as it used to be to do two things at once, and when it comes to using a knife, it's particularly dangerous!

The book can wait!

Margot Justes said...

Morgan,
I found out the hard way. No more multitasking.